Monday, August 25, 2008

A new life for junk store treasures

The beautiful little lady in this layout is my lovely niece. This photograph was taken when she was around 2 months old. I used brown textured cardstock and the patterned papers are from K&Co's Mikayla collevtion. I had a very difficult time getting the letters of her name to stand out, so I applied some pink and brown ink behind the letters. I then double matted the photograph and stitched it together using my sewing machine and brown thread. If you look closely at the photograph and mat you can see that I distressed the edges a little bit. It was very nerve wracking to distress a photograph. I had a backup, so that gave me a little more confidence. The lace was found in a pile of yard sale treasures. I got almost a whole bolt of it for a quarter. I tacked it around the patterned paper with glue dots, but then I had to go around and get it again with some liquid glue. A few weeks ago I found a garage sale and the woman sold me a cardboard box full of cotton thread for crocheting for 50 cents. That is what I made the flowers out of. There was a tutorial I found that was very helpful. So, if you are ever in the mood to make some crocheted flowers you can make some of your very own. My favorite part of the layout is the little shiny pendant (I thought it was a brooch at first, but it is a pendant). That I found at a junk shop. I bought a whole bunch of little vintage pretties and 2 containers of embossing powder for $3. The small daisy adorning the baby's hair was, in a previous life, an earring. I think it adds a bit of texture and unexpected dimension. Thank you for reading my blog. I hope you have a spectacular day.

No comments: