Friday, October 10, 2008

Extreme Bird Makeover

This is my little birdy friend. She is kinda sad. You see, all of her children have left the nest and she is stuck wearing these bright pink feathers. She is so ugly that nobody would buy her and they stuck her in the clearance bin at Walmart. That is where we come in. She needed more than help. She needed an Extreme Makeover: Bird Edition. So, here is the house I made for her. It was from Dollar Tree. I got the inspiration from Heather's blog. I used K&Co's Blue Awning line. After I cut the pieces out I used my sewing machine to do the holes for my stitching. I wanted a thicker thread than my sewing machine could handle, so I used embroidery floss. This adds texture and interest along the bottom. I cut some die cuts from my cricut's Home Accent Essentials cartridge and I used the scallop cut from Plaitin Schoolbook to make the shingles on the roof. To finish the front of the house I used wood stain gel (JoSonja) for the fence. Paint would have also worked. As for the bird herself, I covered her with patterned paper that I had textured and inked the edges. I added a wing, which is grungeboard, and used crackle medium over her. It is quite a tranformation from wild nineteen eighty-something pink to shabby chic, but it works for me. She just loves her new home :) Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Shemaine Smith said...

Beate! This is absolutely beautiful!!! Way to go girl! I love it, can you tell???